There are a good number of Texas-approved certified nursing assistant schools in Houston. DADS, which stands for Department of Aging and Disability Services, is the official organization in the state of Texas that’s responsible for approving CNA training programs located in the city.
So when aspiring to become a certified nursing aide in Houston, be sure to find a CNA school that is approved by DADS.
Basic CNA School Requirements for Admission
- At least 16 years old
- Must be a high school graduate
- Pass the pre-screening tests
- Present a medical certificate
- Submit to criminal background check
To obtain the nursing assistant certification, students are required to complete 51 hours of classroom learning and 24 hours of clinical and procedural training in a supervised health care facility.
CNA Training Curriculum in Houston
The entire coursework or all state-approved CNA programs typically include the following:
- Basic Nursing Skills
- Safety and Emergency Procedures
- Interpersonal Skills
- Infection Control
- Patient’s Rights
- Personal Care
- Mental Health and Social Service Needs
- Proper Care of Cognitively Impaired Patients
- Basic Restorative Care
How Much Does Certified Nursing Assistant Training Cost in Houston?
Courses offered at CNA schools in Houston usually range from $400 to $800. CNA training scholarships or financial aid are also available. Get assistance from Human Services and other community agencies to complete your CNA training course. Also, several employers in Houston provide monetary assistance to CNA students or even reimburse them when they’ve completed the entire CNA course.
Finding Certified Nursing Assistant Schools in Houston
DADS approves over 50 CNA training schools in the city of Houston. Below are some of the top-most CNA schools in the area.
- Houston Community College, 3100 Main St., Houston TX 77002, Phone: (713) 718-2000
- Legend Oak Health Care Northwest CNA Program – Houston, 8902 West Rd., Houston, Texas 77064, Phone: (713) 849-0988
- Healthcare Training Academy, Inc. – Houston, 10900 Kingspoint Rd., Houston, Texas 77075, Phone: (713) 946-4999
- San Jacinto College North Campus – North Shore High School, 5800 Uvalde, Houston, Texas 77049, Phone: (281) 458-4050
- Lexington Place Nursing and Rehabilitation of Houston, 1737 North Loop West, Houston, TX 77008, Phone: (713) 869-5551
To get the complete list of DADS-approved Certified Nursing Assistant Schools in Houston, get the reference from the official website of the Department of Aging and Disability Services.